Wednesday, January 21, 2015

article - myx magazine issue no. 35, 2014 - eraserheads live in singapore (updated 16-Jan-2020)

Article: Eraserheads Live in Singapore
Magazine: Myx
Year: 2014
Issue: No. 35
Catalog: 
Writer: Anne Dizon

Updated: 22-June-2020



LET ME HEAR YOU SING IT

Former MYX writer-producer Anne Dizon shares her Eraserheads reunion concert experience in Singapore
Text and Photos by Anne Dizon

Confession # 1: I didn’t have money to buy tickets so I tried asking former bosses at MYX for a way to get in. I didn’t think it would work but they were able to secure passes to the show for me. In exchange, I had to cover the concert for them. This would be one of my few “nagbunga na sa wakas ang pagpunta ko sa Singapore” moments.

Confession # 2: I’ve been wearing my Eraserheads reunion concert shirt for years although I’ve never actually been to one. I got it on sale a year after their reunion in Manila and it has served as a kababayan magnet here in Singapore – sometimes scoring bigger food portions and free drinks from Pinoy service crew members.

So with my shirt and finally making our way to an actual E-heads concert, I wasn’t a poser anymore! I arrived 2 hours early at the Max Pavillion, and twice-looped line of people suggested that I wasn’t the only one waiting to finally hear my favorite songs live. Overheard in this long queue: “11 years na yung naghiwalay-hiwalay sila, diba?”, “Yung last reunion concert nung 2009 pa?”, “Di ba sinunog nila yung piano sa Sticker Happy?”, “Ganito ba talaga kadami ang mga Pilipino sa Singapore?”

While waiting for the concert to start, I was a bit disappointed that the stage looked too big for the band and too distant from the crowd. Plus, the strict bouncers wouldn’t allow taking photos and videos (although no one really complied) But all that was forgotten once the Eraserheads started playing. The seemingly endless 10-minute countdown turned into the most exciting 10 seconds, the band filled the stage with energy and presence, and the fans were in the moment as we shared this extraordinary event.

Since I was also there as a special correspondent for MYX, I was running from one end of the hall to the other to take videos of the crowd as they sang along. It brought back memories of personal encounters with the individual band members; watching Buddy perform with The Dawn in college, squeezing Raimund for a photo the first time I saw him at a MYX shoot, and Marcus talking to me backstage during MYX Mo! “Markus Highway. Next na ba kami?” Then, there’s Ely. Well, I’ve never actually met Ely.

Seriously though, it was amazing to watch Raimund beating the drums in playful intensity, Buddy swaying along as he worked the bass, Marcus with his silvery guitar riffs, and Ely being Ely. They were all here in front of me. Reunited and playing my favorites song.

The song that I grew up with, the song of reckless youth; the song you sing when you drink, the song you sing when you’re drunk; the song that you slow danced to; the song for the former love; the song for the forever love; the song that made you curse aloud; the song you sang in the car; the song that kept you up all night; the song of first love, of first heartbreak; the song that reminded you of distance; the song that reminded you of friends here and away; the song that took you back to moments lived and longed for.

I’ve listened to Eraserheads songs many times before but never like this. I raised my arms, I jumped around, and for a moment, I felt at home in a sea of strangers.



No comments:

Post a Comment